Friday, May 6, 2011

Links and News from Paris

Although I don't want to get into the routine of starting posts with apologies about not blogging more frequently, here are a few autobiographically related thoughts and links:
  • I should be writing more frequently now that the fog of jet lag has dissipated, but I'm also working on my keynote address for a conference, entitled "Dialectical Models: Reading Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit after Schelling's Philosophy of Art." I updated the title a bit to reflect the theme of the conference, which is "In the Aftermath of German Idealism." If you just happen to be in Germany, and more specifically Wuppertal, from May 12-14, I recommend attending. The schedule, which looks very strong, is available here (scroll down to find the PDF).
  • I also noticed that New APPS has an interview, by John Protevi, of François Raffoul. Although it's not mentioned, he used to teach at CSU Stanislaus (over a decade ago, while I was an undergraduate there--to be clear, I didn't expect that this parenthetical part would be mentioned). I can't say I knew him very well, but I took his course on responsibility and action (Heidegger, Sartre, Lévinas) while I was in my fourth year. It was an impressive course, even if he couldn't convince me to keep reading Lévinas. On an unrelated note: I heard that he used to do the reverse commute to CSUS; while most commuters drive from the Central Valley to the Bay Area, he apparently used to drive from Berkeley to Turlock when he had to teach.

No comments: